What would you do if you could do anything?
So I finally decided to put together my `anything is possible’ list and I had so much fun doing it that I wonder why it took me so long. And besides how much I enjoyed it, it actually turned out that pouring out your heart desires (those things you would absolutely do if there were no restrictions or fears), is a very therapeutic process. Who would have known right?
Anyway, I was actually inspired to do this exercise by a former total stranger (who is currently my newest friend). I recently met someone who despite not knowing anything about me, and even while trying to give himself a mental lift (perhaps because of that) was brutally honest and surprisingly insightful towards me. He made me realize I was too afraid to visualize my desires for fear of failing to achieve them.
So I decided to make a list of everything I want in my life, disregarding any preconceptions I had of why they ‘may not be possible’ as my first step to living my desired life. I call this step; ACKNOWLEDGING YOUR DESIRES.
- Travelling: I would absolutely love to go on a world tour, continent by continent. Of course I don`t plan on going to every single country! But, I actually have a number of countries/places in each continent that I would love to see.
- Writing: Oh, would I love to become a professional writer, with published works in different languages and in different countries? Absolutely!
- Languages: So I want to be fluent in French, Mandarin and Italian. Oh my gosh, that would be such a dream!
- Become my own boss: Of everything on this list, this is the one I feel the most urgency to achieve, and I most certainly will.
- Natural living: This I have actually started, but I am taking such tiny baby steps that I feel the need to take one very bold step into the natural lifestyle I desire.
- Earn a 2nd degree: This time, I want a degree in arts (my 1st degree is in sciences). I would really love to have a degree that would help me cross cultural boundaries, like languages.
- Become a citizen of another country: I know this may sound odd, but I want to gain a 2nd citizenship besides my country`s. I don`t just want to roam, I want to immerse myself in other cultures as much as I can.
From my list, it`s obvious (and I just realized this myself) that my greatest desire is not just to see what else is out there, but to cross the cultural boundaries set by default for me from birth.
Having admitted my wanderlust, amongst other lusts, I actually don`t know why I haven`t been sincere to myself about what I wanted and started earnestly working towards them, because they are absolutely achievable!
So what is keeping you from living your desired life?
Have you acknowledged what you desire in that life? What would you do if you could do absolutely anything you wanted?